Roma to Greece, Is This My Life?

On another train. My mind wanders and wonders. Butterflies flutter inside my chest. Something awaits me. The unknown excites me. No matter how much you think you know what will happen, you have no idea. Letting go of control has given me a better handle on life.
As I trekked through Roma with ten kilos on my back while most went to work I couldn’t help but feel free. Every day gets better, how is that possible? In different ways, magical things are happening. The conversations, the adventures, the people, the food… Let me stop there. The food! When traveling its a must to TREAT YO’SELF. Eat that steak, those mussels, have two gelato’s in one day or for breakfast. The duck? Sure! Pizza? Porfavore. Double shot of espresso. Why not? Another glass of wine? Please and thank you!
Traveling by motorbike in Roma is the way to experience the city. There’s a formula to it. Dodging other bikes, people and vehicles. Fillipo, a local friend of a friend, took me around town. Live Argentinean Flaminco and Bob Marley songs on the Spanish steps. Driving up to the Vatican at night. Watching a football game and a live music competition with some locals.

Unfortunately, spending two or three nights in a city just isn’t enough. It’s better then nothing and it does give me a reason to come back. You gotta see the positive aspects rather then the negative, huh? Agreed.
In order for me to get to Corfu, Greece I took a four hour train to Bari, Italy. With seven hours of free time I explored the small town. Ate a delicious seafood pasta by the port, a gelato by the center and spent time in prayer at a local church.
At nine o’clock I set sail on an overnight ferry. Slept the entire way and arrived in the beautiful Greek island at five in the morning where I watched the sunrise on another blessed day of life. 
Corfu is a special place. I met several people at the hostel who were working in exchange for room and board. It makes complete sense. I didn’t want to leave. So much so that I missed my flight. Now  this wasn’t an intentional thing, but I didn’t get upset for a second when my body jerked up at 9:40am and my flight to Istanbul was at 6:30am.
I rolled out of bed, ate breakfast and spent the day on the beach. A lot was revealed to me while I watched the waves, dipped in the clear water and walked along the shore. There is no doubt that I will be making my way back to this peaceful and cleansing place.  

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *